Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Chaos in my course schedule

Today, I managed to get all of my "contextual studies" credited, as well as a few electives, thanks to my classes at the U. This, of course, wrecks havoc on my current class schedule, but will save me a lot of headache in the long run. I'm in the process of getting my Korean class to count for my 3rd language, which will be another HUGE time saver.

With all this new free time (which might not actually turn out to be free time, depending on my how my waiting list situation looks), I might be able to be more active in student groups. There was a student group fair this morning (conveniently during my first class until about an hour after it), so I got to visit most of the groups and check them out. There are some pretty interest ones, and some of them are even free! The ones that aren't free generally give you lots of "free for members" stuff, have members-only events (sometimes guest speakers), or have special connections to getting internships.

Some of them sound pretty neat, and sound like they'd make for a great opportunity to meet some new people.

Anyway, my biggest concern at the moment is my schedule. I'm on the waiting list for a lot of courses, and I've got a list of professors to go talk to, so I can see if they can give me special permission to be in their class.

The Studentenschaft (Student Union) has a list of student jobs that I could take, but there might be better things I can do with my time. We'll see how that turns out. It would really be nice to have at least a little bit of steady income while I'm here, directly in Swiss Francs. Either way, I have enough of my own projects to keep my busy for a while...

My other big thing right now is the internship search for next summer. Yeah, it sounds like it's a way out, doesn't it? However, it seems that most companies are starting their recruiting phases in the next few weeks, so I'm going through the offerings at the career center online and looking at what's going on, who's coming to campus, etc. I'm planning on dropping by the career center this week or next week to have my CV looked at, etc.

That's all for now!

1 comment:

karen valentiner said...

Sounds great, very exciting! Good luck with sorting everything out -